Doug Holden

The Firearms Trust

Back to Articles Main Page

Sometimes called the “Gun Trust,” the Firearms Trust can help you by allowing you to obey gun control laws as well as federal and state laws regarding the use, handling and possession of restricted weapons.  A properly drafted Firearms Trust can also help with the ease of transfer upon death to family and friends. 

Restricted firearms are regulated by the National Firearms Act (NFA) and are thus referred to as NFA firearms.  These weapons are also referred to as Title II weapons. To sell Title II weapons, one must hold a Class III Dealer License. These types of weapons include silencers and suppressors, short-barreled rifles and shotguns, and machine guns (full automatic weapons).  They are regulated by the NFA and are permitted by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) and generally must be signed off by your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO).  Local CLEO’s often refuse to sign off or do so only after significant delays.

Instead of applying to own NFA firearms, you can apply through a Trust – the NFA Firearms Trust – and bypass the requirement for the CLEO's signature, fingerprinting or mug shot.

Further, once the owner of a NFA weapon, you can possess and shoot that weapon.  If the weapon is owned by a proper NFA Firearms Trust, each Trustee of the Trust, and there can be many, is considered the owner and can possess and shoot the weapon. 

Back to Articles Main Page